Sunset image issue

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Senior Member • Posts: 1,521
Re: Exposure compensation and Highlight weighted metering

Kaspah wrote:

It is a low SNR that creates visible noise, not ISO.

Low SNR creates abstract noise in the raw data. The visible noise is a product of multiple factors and ISO is one of them. It's debatable if ISO 'creates' noise but it definitely 'reveals' it.

So to maximise the exposure I set the widest aperture that will give me the DOF I want and the slowest shutter speed that meets my motion blur needs without blowing highlights.

I am happy to let the camera set the image lightness via ISO where it feels is best.

That's the case when aperture and shutter speed have higher priority than image quality/dynamic range. If you want to maximise the dynamic range (like in the OP's case at sunset), you set the lowest (base) ISO and then tweak the shutter speed setting. Normally you have a lot of room to play with the shutter speed, especially when shooting from a tripod.

I can adjust the image lightness in post but I cannot adjust the exposure in post

That's why you may want to minimise ISO first because it allows you to achieve the highest possible exposure.

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow