S5 or S1

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 43,019
We need choice

georgehudetz wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

georgehudetz wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Since cameras that are larger really need to use the evf more and I tend to use it. My style rarely requires working from the lcd. Therefore fooling around with swivel-tilt-swivel-it back again really annoys me.

If you rarely use the LCD, then on the S5 you can stow it with the screen facing in. Now it's protected and never comes on, helping with battery life. But, when you want to use it, now it's just a single 180 degree rotation to pull it out.

For me the only time I use the LCD is when it's on a tripod. So, regardless of the orientation of the camera, I just flip out the screen and, if I'm in landscape orientation, rotate it a little so it's pointing up at me, and I'm good to go. I'm still getting used to the S5, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think I'll find this easier than the S1R's screen as now I don't have to find that little slider switch if I want to shoot in portrait orientation.

As long as we have a choice.

A deeper appreciation of what motivates me - it is not a casual dislike.

I have always switched off my auto-playback (as well as all sounds). I don’t really wish to draw attention to myself as I like “normal-look” portraits that are not posed and it is always better when your subjects “forget” that you have a camera and are using it.

Therefore I use playback on-demand rather than on-auto. Furthermore since Panasonic’s excellent touch screen interface then why not use this valuable tool?

Also I have always had my lcd screens face outwards and never really had a screen damage issue. With respect I wonder just how rough with your gear we need to be to envisage a screen damage enough that we need to always fold our lcd inwards.

Therefore for on demand playback as a serious review exercise I need it outwards 100%. Otherwise it is a series of fold out, twist, fold back in again, repeat …. Just in case the lcd might get damaged.

The other reason is that Panasonic provides a happy little extra for MF purposes. Mostly with legacy MF lenses. Screen magnified to check focus, soft press - the full screen appears to check composition, thumb dab anywhere on the lcd and the magnification returns to re-check focus.

Ok - now there is a case for leaving the lcd forever facing outwards, but wait ….now we need a sudden tilt of the lcd of an overhead or low level shot. Now it is fold out, twist and adjust tilt, and capture - then reverse the procedure. A simple tilt works much better, with little delay and almost part of the auto-thought process. …. And I am not going to walk about like a dork with my lcd hanging and draw attention to me photographic activities.

I don’t ever “do video”.

There are different strokes for different photographers - the side hinge lcd drive lcd drives me to insanity if I need to use the lcd in a stop-start-stop manner.

But I can understand why some relish the side hinged lcd, but I avoid such cameras if I can.

I did not buy another Canon or Olympus camera body after they made side hinged lcd a standard fitting across the range. I have not gone back to Canon since the RF mount for that same reason. The Sony A7c interested me until I quickly found that it had a side hinged lcd. I also gave the S5 a miss for the same reason and if the almost inevitable SX1 (RF-Style body) has a side hinged lcd I will not be interested and my S1 can be made to last almost forever.

But I am sure that all these companies manage fine without my business and are not in the least perturbed by my comments.

Thanks for the added thoughts, Tom. I do appreciate reading them.

As a side note, I recently spent a weekend hunting wildflowers in Colorado. Over two days, I was on the trail for, I think, 14 hours, with the S5. Rear screen was in the "stowed" position the entire time. Never used a tripod, and thus never used the rear screen. I was able to shoot 840 images on one battery - and that's a total of 1680 files since I shoot raw + JPEG. So, another advantage of stowing the screen.

Yes you can simply turn off the screen if you want, but it's nice to just flip it out to turn it on, as opposed to fiddling with a tiny button with tri-state logic.

I do agree with your comments about keeping the camera quiet, as well as the likelihood of damaging an exposed screen.

Different use purposes tend to favour one type or another that is why we have a 40/40 split and 20% don’t care either way.

So we really need some choice in screen types but some manufacturers only make one type of screen hinged lcd now.  Canon and Olympus are evidence of side hinge or lump it whilst Nikon and Sony until very recently were tilt  and you had better love it.

I have pointed out previously that tilt only did not seem to have any impact on Nikon or. Sony sales but we could have said the same thing about Canon and side hinge.  Panasonic has opted for a bob each-way and I appreciate this.  Adopting side hinged LCD and a different battery format were two of the ancillary reasons why it was easy for me to stop buying Canon dslr bodies.

I am glad that side hinged lcd camera  bodies exist for those that find them best suited for their purpose.

But perhaps the elephant in the room is why don’t manufacturers make a mount on the back of their camera bodies that will accept either a side hinge mechanism or a tilt  mechanism - then “everybody happy”.  Then cameras might be sold with a dummy plain back (only evf) and the user choice of hinged lcd (or perhaps both for those that would otherwise never be satisfied).  

Ricoh showed with their GXR that a lego-block like camera system could be made rigid, tight, and very reliable. In fact if they hid the demount switch most would think they were all separate cameras - the build was such high-quality.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow