Help me think this through…. next purchase

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
mostlyboringphotog Forum Pro • Posts: 10,057
Re: Help me think this through…. next purchase

cba_melbourne wrote:

NoTx wrote:

Trying to plan for a once-in-a-lifetime trip(s) this year, and am trying to decide what to change in my kit for the betterment of my photography experience. Now the photography is not the reason for the trip, but it will be a common occurrence.

So where am I going? Sri Lanka, Maldives, and Dominican Republic.

So what is my travel kit? Olympus E-M1 Mark 1 / Original. One or two primes (from Olympus 12/2, 25/1.8, 45/1.8), tele zoom (40-150/4-5.6), and standard zoom 14-54/2.8-4 Mark II.

What would I like? I would like to improve my experience as a photographer and the quality of my photos. I am thinking of buying one thing, under a thousand dollars, that will impact heavily. Lens, body, or other?

Thoughts?

You already got a great set of small light lenses, IMO ideally suited for travel.

If I was you, I would just go for a new camera body to make the best possible use of these lenses. One that is small and light for travel. The EM5.3 or the GX9.

Leave the EM1.1 home as a backup camera (I bet you won't use it much anymore).

You may even have enough of your budget left, to replace the FT 14-54 with the tiny and light 12-32 which you can buy de-kitted (without box) for little money. If you choose to keep the 14-54, you definitely want a body with pdaf like the EM5.2 or the EM1.2 (both are around the same price today).

I would suggest carry two bodies with different lens (obviously ).

mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Pentax 645Z Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EOS RP
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow