Touchscreen? That's just old technology

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rambow Senior Member • Posts: 1,328
Touchscreen? That's just old technology

Just reading a youtube comment on the zv-e10 sony release from a guy saying he would never buy a camera today that does not have a fully integrated touchscreen interface. And i thought "Really?"

Why do people keep insisting cameras in 2021 should have touchscreens?

Touchscreens in cameras are such an old idea it must be 15 years old or more, easy examples from the top of my head- most handycams made in the 2000s has it, plenty of compacts also had it, like the sony dsc-n1 and many others. The N1 was released in 2005, so more than 15 years ago.

But guess what? Touchscreen interface is more show than function, scrolling through menus on a 3 inch screen is not fun at all. That's probably why most companies never bothered investing in it, sony themselves quit the whole idea after a while, probably because it didn't help sales and buttons simply work better on a camera.

If you ever had a camera from the T series of the era, you already know this. Changing setings took a while, longer than with a traditional button/4 way pad anyway. Same applies for their latest cybershot cameras, like the rx100 M7.

But i guess 2021 is the year when everything old is back in fashion. It's the 2000s all over again.

If you guys really want to think ahead and get last gen. technology, ask for cameras operated via voice command. Not only it's a lot more practical than a touchscreen, but it's also cooler.

Why fiddle with a tiny touchscreen when you can just ask the camera to do what you want it to do?

As for people not bothered with fancy marketing gimmicks, buttons are still best. I always disable the touchscreen on my cameras if possible.

But if you want the latest and greatest, you have to think ahead, not look back towards the era when touschreens were considered cool. Again, that tech is plain old.

Asking for touchscreen operated cameras in 2021 is like asking for the return of the disco era with it's weird clothes and hair styles. "Been there, done that".

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
lft
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow