DA*300 vs DFA Macro 100mm w/Red-footed Cannibal flies

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
manual_focus Senior Member • Posts: 1,384
DA*300 vs DFA Macro 100mm w/Red-footed Cannibal flies

Here's a quick and not scientific comparison between shooting a pair of Red-footed Cannibal flies. It's enough of a comparison that you can get a good idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the two lenses for this type subject matter.

The beauty of this experiment is that the flies were stationary for 20 minutes which allowed for switching camera gear and dealing with the bad fogging up from bringing lenses out into hot humid weather from a cool air-conditioned house.

The issue of shooting these flies was depth of field.

The strength of the DA*300 is it can be handheld for quick captures and shooting at f10 was enough to get a decent DOF from which the flies could be ID's.

I've never seen these flies before and had no idea what they were other than large and interesting to look at. I was able to quicking get a decent capture using hand-held AF.

Red-footed Cannibalfly (Promachus rufipes)  Taken w/ DA*300mm

The strength of the DFA 100mm Macro is the decent manual focusing which allowed for taking a four shot series which I ran through a stacking program (Helicon Focus). This gave me the depth of field necessary to have both flies in good focus. The weakness of the macro is it shallower depth of field thereby requiring a four stack series and needing to get physically closer to the flies. This necessitates using a tripod. If it wasn't that the flies were mating and not moving, there is no way a fly is going to stay around for setting up and taking such a series.

Red-footed Cannibalfly (Promachus rufipes) Taken w/ DFA 100mm Macro WR

Enjoy!

Best at original size.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow