What is easiest way to partition / multi-boot

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
TacticDesigns
OP TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 8,395
Re: What is easiest way to partition / multi-boot

sacentre wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

Hello,

What is the easiest way to partition a HD to multiboot.

I want to run Windows XP (For my old Epson scanner. I have software that works with XP, but not Win10).

I want to run Windows 10 on it. (It's a really old laptop, but Win10 actually works on it.)

And I want to start learning Linux.

Is there a program I can use to set this up?

I will be installing on a new SSD that I am buying specifically to do this.

Thanks in advance!

Take care & Happy Shooting!

It's a piece of cake. I use AOMEI Partition Pro but there are many other free utilities you can use to create/edit partitions. Create a partition in unused space. It'll most likely be designated "D:" by default but I think you can change this if you like.

Once the new partition is created, you install the new OS - Linux or whatever exactly the same way as if your were installing on C: drive.

The next time you boot, Windows Boot Manager

So this is the Win10 Boot Manager can help me with this?

will show you a menu with the option to choose which OS to boot to. Assuming you choose Win 10 as your default (you can change this easily), it will automatically boot to this unless you choose otherwise.

Things get a bit complicated when it comes to setting up external hardware devices like Bluetooth mice/keyboards but wired are no problem.

Have fun.

+1

New Blank SSD, so I can try it a few times to figure out a configuration that works for me. LOL.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow