What is easiest way to partition / multi-boot

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
TacticDesigns
OP TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 8,395
Re: What is easiest way to partition / multi-boot

tkbslc wrote:

I think this should do it:

1. Install Windows XP. During setup tell it to only use a small portion of the drive.
  2. Install Windows 10. During setup make a partition for it that doesn't use all of the remaining space. Don't upgrade the Windows Xp, install new to different partition.
  3. Install Linux using the remaining free space on drive. Most modern distros will detect the other installs and add them to its bootloader for selection. You could also skip this step and install Linux as a virtual machine running on top of windows using free Oracle Virtual Box. This is ideal if you want to try out multiple distros. You can also run Linux from a USB drive no problem.\

+1

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot I could probably boot Linux from a USB stick. Although this is an old laptop, I think it might be new enough to boot from USB stick for Linux.

If this was a desktop, the easiest way is a hot swap hard drive caddy or Sata dock.

Keep in mind that since all of these are on the same computer, getting malware on XP could affect Windows 10. So make sure to set Windows XP to never connect to the internet or network. If it were me, I'd buy a second POS $100 computer that I only use with the scanner and it never connects to the internet or has any data on it. Scan to a thumb drive and move them to your main computer for editing.

+1

Yes. I don't plan to connect to the Internet with Window XP. WinXP would be Strictly for using with my Epson Scanner.

I have an old HP Mini 110 that I am currently using as a stand-alone computer to use with my Scanner. But the screen is really small and annoying to use.

This is an old computer that we had lent out and I just got back.

Win10 works on it, but sometimes slow. I already tossed in 4GB of ram that I had lying around from another dead laptop. So I was thinking of tossing in a SSD drive to see if I could get it working a bit faster with Win10.

Since I was buying a new SSD the thought crossed my mind . . . why not set up for WinXP (Scanner), Win10 (To use as a vacation computer), Linux to learn it.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow