How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
photonut2008
photonut2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,313
Re: How to have my photography appreciated, or mean something?

mfinley wrote:

photonut2008 wrote:

mfinley wrote:

photonut2008 wrote:

In the end I think the whole idea of photography is to please ones self or whomever you intend to see the photo. However, I don't think that photography practiced well is so esoteric that most people just don't get it and are only interested in snapshots of their family and friends.

The untrained eye can only judge on the level of sophistication it is currently at. It is no different than the taste bud, a 3 star Michelin meal can be lost on the majority of people just as a well-aged Bordeau will be. As the viewer grows in experience by educating themselves in the field of the arts gaining a background of imagery and understanding they can appreciate art in a more discerning way, this is the same in every disciple of life.

I'm not so dismissive of how others respond to photographs, or food, or music, or whatever.

Responses to anything are self-censored by the group you ask to respond.

Taking a class of kindergarteners to broadway to see the play Cats will likely get responses of how cool looking the cats were from the kindergarteners, but you shouldn't be surprised by how few would comment about the choreography or appreciate the more sophisticated nuances of the storyline.

More dismissiveness. You're equating adults who may have uninformed opinions about the show with kindergarteners who are dazzled by the spectacle.

Case in point for me, my girlfriend doesn't spend time pondering the nuances and intricacies of photography, but she knows what she wants to see when I show here photos I've made of her Border Collies. I find her input about foot and head placement useful and try to incorporate it.

Here's the thing about artistic endeavors, it doesn't amount to anything when the viewer is left cold. Sure, you can say they just "don't get it," and you may be right about that, and that's when the work becomes esoteric. You can be so esoteric that you end up with an audience of one, and that's fine if that's what you want to do, but that doesn't mean that "uninformed" people don't appreciate a good Broadway show or a well-done photograph even when the story it tells doesn't have anything to do with them personally.

The photos I showed earlier in this thread were chosen precisely because they have what I would say are broad appeal. I know that because every one of them evoked an effusive response from multiple viewers. I have photos I particularly like that don't get those responses, and while I sometimes question whether they are any good or not based on that, I find myself enjoying revisiting them and spending time with them, so it doesn't matter to me if they are not popular or "sophisticated," it only matters to me that I enjoy them.

-- hide signature --

DPR, where gear is king and photography merely a jester

photonut2008's gear list:photonut2008's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow