Z6 vs. Z7 (or Z7 II): EVF in DX mode

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mobydick Contributing Member • Posts: 603
Z6 vs. Z7 (or Z7 II): EVF in DX mode

I am the proud owner of a Z6 for a few days now. Overall a really nice camera!

However, there was one negative surprise: When switching to DX mode, the actual resolution in the EVF gets visibly lower. I suspect that the image data feed to the EVF is generated for FX (in a resolution just fitting to the EVF resolution), and in DX mode this image data feed is just cropped and scaled up.

As a consequence, I don't like the EVF representation of the outer world very much in DX mode. (In FX mode, it is fine, but still could profit from more actual resolution...; also in FX mode, image review in the EVF shows slightly more details than the live feed, thus the EVF has more potential than what is actually used.)

Anyhow, here is my question to people who own/have used both the Z6 and Z7 (or Z7 II) in DX mode: Is this resolution drop also noticable on the Z7 or Z7 II?

I guess most likely yes because this is all obviously happening very late in the image processing pipeline towards the EVF, but maybe, maybe, the higher resolution sensor of the Z7 (II) is read out from the start at higher actual resolution for the EVF life feed.

Any insights are welcome.

-- hide signature --

Wolfram

mobydick's gear list:mobydick's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 +29 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow