Olympus proprietary threads

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MarkMLl Junior Member • Posts: 25
Olympus proprietary threads

Has anybody managed to assemble a list of the thread sizes that Olympus used on cameras that needed non-standard front-mounting accessories?

Leaving aside for the moment the hazard of screwing something in front of what might be an auto-extending lens, my principal interest here is in working out what size of threaded cover can be attached to e.g. a CLA adapter to protect the threads and the back of any lens to which it's currently attached.

For example, I have an adapter here which is marked "45.6 -> 55" which might be a CLA-12 possibly for a C720 or C750 camera. Using vernier calipers, the male thread is a plausible 45.6 (measures 45.5 OD) 0.75 mm pitch.

I also have a CLA-11 for an SP-590UZ which has a male thread measured at 56.75 x 0.75mm.

The back of a TCON-17 is described as 55mm, but measures as 54.6 x 0.75mm.

An E-520 DSLR takes 58mm filters, and the male thread on those measures as 57.85 x 0.75.

That suggests that Olympus retains the standard 0.75mm filter thread pitch for their proprietary threads, and they are unlikely to depart from the standard 60° metric angle and the amount of flattening on the top of the thread which is normally proportional to the pitch (not the diameter).

However their (male) ODs are non-standard, and I suggest:

CLA-12 45.6
TCON-17 54.7
CLA-11 56.8

For 0.75mm pitch the thread depth will be of the order of 0.41mm, and it is this that determines how much smaller the male thread can be compared with the female before the connection is unsafe... we're talking about something like 0.2mm tops here.

Can anybody else throw more figures into the mix?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus C-750 UZ Olympus E-520 (EVOLT E-520) Olympus SP-590 UZ
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow