RX10 IV vs XT3+70-300x1.4x ... a toss?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Yannis1976
OP Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,929
Re: RX10 IV vs XT3+70-300x1.4x ... a toss?

AdamT wrote:

I had a mk3 for over a year (same camera but without a touchscreen or PDAF for C-AF (they`re the same camera ijn single AF) .. and the lens was consistent edge to edge wideopen at "600mm" , almost like a bag of primes up to 400mm sharpness wise , superb at 500mm and still sharp at 600mm. they do vary a lot however as is typical for Sony lenses , I tried a Mk4 when a conjunction of offers came up 6 months after and the only one the local shop had was decentered or tilted , it looked like your second sample there outside the centre area at long reach and was blurry on the RH side at the wide end .

My Mk3 was a top copy thankfully so kept it until I`d tired of the handling and the electric zoom enough to part with it last year - I make do without that reach now and I`m back to M43 for my superzoom needs with the excellent Panasonic 14-140-II which may not be quite as sharp at longer range as the RX10-3 was but the G9 its mounted on is in a totally different universe for handling, speed and ruggedness and no irritating electric zoom .

The RX10 is a great camera, but once you have used a manual lens is hard to go back to electric. I am planning at some point to try an em5 iii with a 12-100 (need to find them both at a good price used). For me the EM5 III is where m43 bodies should be. Small, light but durable, capable of the latest tech (CAF etc).

Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow