Digitizing Negatives

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Overrank
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,939
Re: Digitizing Negatives

hubcap91 wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

hubcap91 wrote:

Could someone please explain why there are scratches on negatives which I don't see on the enlarged paper prints?

There is a theory that labs employed a "kicker" who's job it was to kick the processed negs around the floor a bit to make those scratches. That is a joke, but negs often came back with some sort of scratches. Someone else has mentioned the type of printing made them less visible on prints.

Also as someone else mentioned the scanner should have a method of automatically cleaning up the scratches (and dust), it takes an infra-red scan of the surface and paints round any imperfections it sees. If you can turn that on in your software you should see a difference. Personally, I like VueScan to do my scanning.

Some great insight offered here! I am using SilverFast which has a feature that can "intelligently" remove scratches on color film. It seems to work quite well for color negatives but sadly black and white film requires manual labour to select and highlight the scratches.

SilverFast has another dust / scratch removal algorithm that does use the IR channel and so will work with black and white. As I don’t use b+w much I’ve never really explored it.

I once scanned some very cracked old negatives which had a cracking pattern over them and found some “recipies” for Photoshop which could automatically remove them (they were too much to do by hand).  From memory you did an edge detect, then took a copy of the original as a new layer and blurred it over the cracks.  You the took the edge detect and used it as a layer mask to selectively use the blur to fill in the cracks. There was probably a bit more to it but that was the general idea.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow