My take on the RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM for birds

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Kokopelli_Rocks
Kokopelli_Rocks Senior Member • Posts: 2,538
Re: My take on the RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM for birds

MjMac wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen a handful of reviewers show that the 800mm F11 is at least as sharp as the 100-500 with the 1.4 Ext. at 700 F10. The AF is lights out without the extender and still very good with it. How did you find the AF with the 800 F11? I know the focus box is smaller being at F11 which could present some issues with BIF.

If find the AF good and fast enough for my needs at 800mm. I did find it hard on fast flying birds, but I have very little BiF experience.  I am pretty sure the 100-500's AF will be much faster even with a 1.4x.

For the cost the lens is fun to use. I was very skeptical about a f11 lens, but no more. I can reach a little longer with my Sigma 150-600mm plus 1.4x and I  like the results, but the weight and cost of the Canon makes it a great addition to my kit.

I might next year depending on finaces and availability might sell my Sigma and buy the 100-500. I will keep the 800mm f11.

Kokopelli_Rocks's gear list:Kokopelli_Rocks's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Sony RX100 III +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow