EV priority - the missing exposure mode

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Julian Vrieslander Senior Member • Posts: 1,088
EV priority - the missing exposure mode

There are often situations where I set up to take photos at a particular spot, with my camera (D850) in manual exposure mode. I set aperture, shutter speed and ISO based on previous experience, or by making a couple of test shots. I will be shooting targets in various directions, some in shade, some in the open, but I want all the images to have the same look. Exposure (EV) is constant, determined by the ambient light, not the reflected light. Of course, there are meters that can measure ambient light. But the meter in my camera, even in its smartest modes, can't do that - at least not while taking photos. If I use any of the automatic modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, ISO priority), the metering can and will change the EV used for my shots, depending on what I am aiming at.

But sometimes, I do want to change aperture or shutter speed, without changing EV. Say I am shooting wildlife, and I have my shutter speed set to a high speed. But then I notice something interesting happening which needs a slower speed with more DOF. So I rotate my shutter command dial a few clicks, and the aperture command dial a few clicks in the other direction. That does what I want, but it's easy to mess up and get the wrong pair of settings.

What I want is a new exposure mode: EV priority. This would allow me to lock one of the variables in the exposure triad, and to link the other two. If I lock ISO and change shutter speed, it would change aperture to keep EV constant. Likewise, if I lock aperture and change shutter speed, it would adjust ISO to keep the same EV. So now, I only need to ride one of the command dials.

As far as I know, this mode of operation is not available in current Nikons. Am I wrong? Am I missing something?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow