Counterfeit B+W 007 Clear MRC nano?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mount evans
mount evans Regular Member • Posts: 457
Counterfeit B+W 007 Clear MRC nano?

Please, do not revive the debate about clear protectors in general. I personally have chosen to use them, 'nuff said about that.

I was dusting off my B+W 007 Clear MRC nano lens protector and noticed my head silhouetted against a purplish reflection of the sky behind me. I thought, "Shouldn't a clear lens protector with a good AR coating be well-nigh invisible unless you you are looking at the reflection of a really bright point source?"

I looked up this model of clear protector on Amazon from whence I bought it and sure enough, although it was highly rated, several of the reviews mentioned receiving counterfeit goods.

https://www.amazon.com/62mm-XS-Pro-Clear-Multi-Resistant-Coating/dp/B004OR15KY

One reviewer said that the counterfeit filters could be recognized because the lettering was in white instead of "gold". I looked at the lettering on my filter, and it is...pale yellow. :-/

So, is it normal to see a purplish reflection of the sky in your clear filter, despite the AR coating? Or do I have counterfeit, uncoated glass?

The lens behind the protector is an Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm F2.8 Pro, and seems to be significantly less reflective than the clear protector.

-- hide signature --

My pictures: flickr.com/mount_evans/albums

mount evans's gear list:mount evans's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow