Thinking about a pocket type camera - what to consider

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tcbarb Forum Member • Posts: 69
Thinking about a pocket type camera - what to consider

Being up in Ouray Colorado in the rain for the 5th day in a row I brought an old Cannon pocket camera with me for long hikes and kept the A77ii's dry back in the car. Having now lost the pocket camera today I am wondering if I should buy a new one.

I am very happy with the A77ii and prefer it's reach since I shoot wildlife and long distance landscapes with just a few G class lenses and a couple Minolta gems. But I know there will still be times I want to carry just a pocket camera for a degree of anonymity or for the freedom of not carrying a bigger camera and an extra lens or more. Even for the get together of some friends and such.

Yet I still want the images I choose to keep from a pocket camera situation to be close to the IQ of the A77ii's. I would like to have a zoom feature too and at least 24mp like the A77ii's. I suppose I will not find much in the way of viewfinders, which I am addicted to, but a fairly large screen would be nice. I am not a pro but appreciate a quality image for which the A77ii's are fine. I am no pixel peeper. I actually shoot a lot in "P" and occasionally in "A" mode, but never in Auto. I adjust aperture a lot to get more bokeh and shutter speed both. I need this ability I think. I occasionally will adjust brightness compensation so images are not blown out just to try to get something I can post process for if I have no other choice. I do set ISO on auto and White Balance on auto. These all are commonly used tools. Finally a flash is nice, but not unnecessary since I would like it to do fine in low light. 99% of my flash shots which are 1% of my shots are preset at a -1 flash compensation and are just 99% fill ins. I don't need any rapid fire - single shot is good. I don't think I need bracketing on this camera, but an occasional DRO is nice to try but not a need.

As you can get a sense of I've developed a few simple short methods to taking photos, and do not get deep into the cameras more refined abilities. Once though the cameras menus and setting dial lock is my choice as I don't want to screw up a setting up in the filed and be lost, and the bigger reason is I forget finer detail since I use my cameras most in streaks of 3 or 4 times a year.

So if I was to get another smaller pocket type camera that could do the above with good IQ what cameras would you recommend? I like the $300- $500 price point best, which is what I would pay for a used A77ii I think pretty soon, and would consider a slightly used one as well.

Many thanks for wading through all this.

Tom

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow