RX10 IV vs XT3+70-300x1.4x ... a toss?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Yannis1976
Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,919
RX10 IV vs XT3+70-300x1.4x ... a toss?

As said in another post I have recently acquired a used RX10 IV and been testing it against my XT3. To my surprise, it seems -so far- the RX10IV is not always the worse choice for capturing long distance objects at high SS. CAF at RX10 IV is better and lens is equally sharp at center.

Unfortunately I don't have any BIF close to me, so I tried to emulate a bit the conditions by setting SS to 1/1000 and checking IQ at the longest FL (600mm vs 640mm).

Left is XT3+70-300 1.4x and right is RX10IV. Default exposure is a bit different, but what is impressive is when you zoom in a bit far from the center...

So while in the center they are both sharp, as soon as you move from there, the RX10 IV gets much worse...

I got another 2 samples from far objects with similar results. So in terms of sharpness at the longest FL, the 70-300 wins even with the TC1.4x!

Where things start to change is while light is getting less. So the XT3 at f8 gathers less light than the RX10 at f4 and that is translated to needed ISO and in the end IQ.

The left image from the XT3 is already at ISO1600 and then further increased the exposure by 1.3 in LR. The right image from the RX10 is at ISO800 and if you zoom a bit you can see that from a noise perspective, it does look better.

Hope that helps some of you re the 70-300 with the 1.4x. Happy to share all samples if you think its useful.

Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
Fujifilm X-T3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow