First event shoot, what do I need

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Barnie25 Forum Member • Posts: 86
First event shoot, what do I need

Hi guys,

Four weeks ago I took the plunge into mirrorless photography. I have taken a lot of photos in this time frame, mostly landscapes and a few portrait shots. Next Saturday my mother is hosting her birthday party and asked me to do some event photography. Both as a way of capturing the moment but also for me to get some experience.

The setting will be at my sisters house during the day from noon to five pm, so really the worst time of the day to photograph. I will need to take most likely photos in harsh outdoors lighting and quite possibly challenging indoor conditions.

This is the gear I have now for the event:

Nikon Z50

50mm 1.8 S

Gotox TT350 speedlite

What should be my strategy for shooting with this setup and do I need to get something like a flashbender to provide difused light. This weekend I will do some test shots in both outdoors and indoors conditions to see what works and what doesn't. Should I shoot in shutter speed priority to keep a minimal shutter speed in order to get sharp images or and what is the max ISO that would work for these types of conditions. I thought that something like an ISO of 800 as a max should be plenty in combination with the speedlite to get good sharp images. I also suspect I should shoot in AF-C with tracking enabled. With group shots or shots with mulitple people in it my Z50 tends to focus on a single eye as a focus point, leaving the rest softer. To combat this should I just bump up the aperture in order to get more in focus? Or better use a wider focus area?

So TLDR; what is the best strategy for shooting with my setup at an indoor / outdoor party with possibly harsh or challenging light and what settings would you people advice

Barnie25's gear list:Barnie25's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR
ANSWER:
Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow