When do use tripods?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Platographer Contributing Member • Posts: 730
Re: When do use tripods?

I almost always use a tripod even when not doing long exposures because my goal is to achieve the best possible image quality. A tripod with remote shutter eliminates the chance of camera movement blur (as long as it is not too windy out) and allows more thoughtful framing of the shot. A tripod also makes it easier to exposure and focus bracket shots without having to crop a lot out when aligning in post. I focus and exposure bracket most of my shots (by focus bracket, I mean take exposure bracketed shots at several different focus points since the Sony A7Riv does not have a focus bracketing function). To me, technical excellence is as important as composition because I have aspirations to make big Peter Lik-style prints. But that's not what is important to everyone and that is fine.

When I was in Lake Tahoe, I paid a photographer to guide/instruct me. I like her work, but her photography philosophy was completely different than mine. She hardly ever brackets and shoots mostly handheld at small apertures like f/14 or f/16 to get good DOF (which obviously introduces significant diffraction softening compared to focus stacking f/8 images). She has little concern for the technical side, but makes beautiful images nonetheless. She didn't even know what the circle of confusion is, but she manages to be a good photographer. Her style is not wrong, just different. For her, spending a lot of time and effort to get that extra, say, 20% or so of quality is not worth it. I feel differently. There's no right or wrong answer, just the individual photographer's prerogatives and decisions about how our very limited time on this beautiful blue marble is spent.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow