Wedding Photographer and Raw

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
nordic_shooter Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Wedding Photographer and Raw

Aaron801 wrote:

nordic_shooter wrote:

Buke wrote:

I shoot jpegs, and the images are my property. If the client wants to buy a CD that's another charge. By contracting with me to shoot their wedding, they don't get the rights to the imagery I shoot. I give them scaled down images, but the full resolution images are mine.

Why downscaled photos? What's the point? To sit in the basement clutching the high-res pictures.. "my preciousssss...."?

In general: Giving out the raw files is not entirely uncomplicated, but not from an economic standpoint. Editing can in some cases save a less than perfect shot, so giving out the raw file might not look that good. How would it in that case help by getting extra money? There's no logic to this. "Sure, my reputation as a photographer might be ruined if I hand out the raw files, but for just some extra cash, I'll happily do it!"

Except for the fact that Buke didn't say "RAW files," but "full resolution images." I took that to mean full resolution JPEGs. If it's standard practice to write your contract to say that you will deliver edited JPEG images that are suitable for online or small prints, but charge extra to release full resolution images suitable for bigger enlargements, why would a photographer not charge extra for providing them?

I know, that part wasn't directed at Buke and should perhaps have been in a separate post. Anyway, in this day and age, it seems like a really really antiquated business model to charge extra for something that is of no extra cost to the photographer (high resolution jpegs).

nordic_shooter's gear list:nordic_shooter's gear list
Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T3 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow