Good news and bad news about the Nikon 105/1.4 on the GFX 100S

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 34,773
Good news and bad news about the Nikon 105/1.4 on the GFX 100S

First, the good news. The lens covers completely at f/1.4 and portrait distances. It's an E lens, but if you're going to shoot it on the GFX 100x, you'll probably want to shot it wide open. You can do that by mounting the lens on a Nikon F-mount camera (or a Z-mount camera with an FTZ), opening it up all the way, and unmounting it with the camera on. It will stay wide open on a dumb adapter (I used a Fotodiox).

Some more good news: The rendering of OOF areas is even more delicious on the GFX 100 than on a Z7.

Now the bad news: for subjects that move or light that is less than great, the focusing aids on the GFX 100x don't allow sufficient defocusing accuracy for close subjects. In the studio, you could probably make it work. I tried it for a couple of minutes in a casual situation yesterday with my visiting granddaughter, and, out of six or seven shots, got only one that was close to being properly focused, and it wasn't very good otherwise. Here's a misfoscused one where you can see the OOF rendering:

Bad lighting. 2700K LEDs with a big blue spike overhead, daylight otherwise.

Studio shooters, take notice. This is a special lens.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow