My take on the RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM for birds

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Kokopelli_Rocks
Kokopelli_Rocks Senior Member • Posts: 2,563
Re: My take on the RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM for birds

MjMac wrote:

Excellent review Bird. How do you find the RF 800 F11 compares to the RF 100-500 F4.5-7.1 with the 1.4 extender (making the long end 700mm F10)?

Excellent review and images.

I received my 800mm f/11 a few weeks ago.  Yesterday was my first opportunity to use the lens beyond a few test images. I came across a herd of Bison in Kansas. All I can say is wow. The lens performed great. The images were sharp.

I did have some challenges. The day was really windy and I did not have my monopod. I used a fence to steady the lens in the wind. Also, a little challenging keeping to the reduced AF area. Still, great way to shoot 800mm for under $1K.

I tried some BIF of hawks and found the 800mm a little challenging.  The birds were really fast and I don't shoo BiF very often.

I don't see much reason to compare against 100-500 + TC. The combo is 3.5x the cost of the 800mm.  If you can afford the 100-500 and can find one that is a nice option.  I personally consider the 800mm a nice, but a specalized lens. I  have heard a few call the 800mm f11 a good lens for beginners. If they mean photography beginners I disagree.  You need to have good knowledge of using R series and understand how to used an f11 lens.

I like the weight and feel of the lens. Just need to remember to unlock extend and lock to use the lens.

Kokopelli_Rocks's gear list:Kokopelli_Rocks's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Sony RX100 III +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow