Digitizing Negatives

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
hubcap91
OP hubcap91 Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Digitizing Negatives

Barry Twycross wrote:

hubcap91 wrote:

Could someone please explain why there are scratches on negatives which I don't see on the enlarged paper prints?

There is a theory that labs employed a "kicker" who's job it was to kick the processed negs around the floor a bit to make those scratches. That is a joke, but negs often came back with some sort of scratches. Someone else has mentioned the type of printing made them less visible on prints.

Also as someone else mentioned the scanner should have a method of automatically cleaning up the scratches (and dust), it takes an infra-red scan of the surface and paints round any imperfections it sees. If you can turn that on in your software you should see a difference. Personally, I like VueScan to do my scanning.

Some great insight offered here! I am using SilverFast which has a feature that can "intelligently" remove scratches on color film. It seems to work quite well for color negatives but sadly black and white film requires manual labour to select and highlight the scratches.

hubcap91's gear list:hubcap91's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow