When do use tripods?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 5,895
Re: When do use tripods?

I think there is a difference between trips close to the car and when walking/traveling.

Since most of my photography is on hikes, I get further and further away from thinking I need a tripod. On backpacks that would be astro/landscape; but it is harder and harder to rationalize carrying a tripod - they are the single heaviest piece of equipment. Besides m4/3 IBIS is at the top of the heap and I can handhold quite slow SS's.

I don't have a problem carrying a tripod for short hikes and walks. Tripods make it far easier to capture focus bracketed shots. In winter I will do walks of 3-7 miles fairly often and bring a tripod exclusively to be able to focus stack. Spring and summer flower macros are not as difficult as most are in good light, and besides, many good flower images are more of an artistic nature with a medium to even wide aperture, and consequently, an intended shallow DOF.

I don't think "precision" in composition is a valid argument for a tripod for me. I am very adept at utilizing the EVF for best composition and exposure. Besides, I will more than likely shoot several images handheld of better than average scenes. It is very likely that "precision" will come from one of these several images.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow