In Search of filter system: Kase, Nisi, Breakthrough Photography or PolarPro

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,572
Re: In Search of filter system: Kase, Nisi, Breakthrough Photography or PolarPro

robgendreau wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Has anyone used both of these brands that could offer some insight? I'm looking specifically at a 3-stop and 10-stop ND as well as a CPL.

The one thing I like about the Kase filters is the magnetic system (Breakthrough supposedly had a magnetic system, but have stopped selling it, and are working on a new system but haven't seen any updates in the past several months).

For Breakthrough, I've noticed their X4 filters (when compared to many other brands like Hoya, B+W and others) to be the most neutral, although since I shoot RAW slight color casts aren't a big deal as I can fix them in post (mostly concerned with sharpness and image quality as well as flare).

For PolarPro I think many reviews placed these at about the same quality as Breakthrough, same with Nisi.

I am looking to get round filters that I can use with the lens hoods (I tried square filters but would prefer to use a system that lets me stock them -- both brands I mentioned here allow stacking -- and use the lens hoods too to further reduce flare and help with contrast.

I've found plenty of videos online comparing Breakthrough with others, and read numerous reviews on Kase, but haven't found a comparison between the two brands specifically so that's what I'm mostly interesterd. I am likely going to pick one from these four brands mentioned though, and am leaning more towards Kase or Breakthrough.

I've been shopping ND filters and my research has led me to one not your list, Kolari. They just started on them (although they've been making all sorts of other filters for a while). Very neutral (not all area, and that matters more to some photographers than others). The reviews have ranked them better than the ones above. For me, they tick the other boxes re coatings, thinness, and since they're made of Gorilla glass, durability. And a lifetime warranty. https://kolarivision.com/product/kolari-pro-irnd-filter/

As tested against the others: https://dominey.blog/2020/10/11/review-kolari-vision-neutral-density-filter/

And also here: https://youtu.be/P99pAjCEsi8

Not cheapest, but again whether that is worth it depends on your needs for color accuracy.

I wouldn't have found them except I've bought others from them; great customer support. Pretty much only available through them (recently a clip filter for a Canon RP) and a few other places.

Thanks.  I think I did look at those and will look at them again.  Color accuracy, to me, is important, but comes about 3rd on the list of essentials, behind sharpness and flare control to be honest).

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow