on verge of being converted

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
brownie314
brownie314 Senior Member • Posts: 2,031
on verge of being converted

I am on the precipice of doing a conversion of all of my gear from DSLR to mirrorless. I have shot Nikon DX bodies for about 12 years. I really like the ergonomics and the speed of the bodies. But – I am really missing video and a host of other features that a ML system would offer. Not to mention – I don’t want to invest more money in F mount DX lenses when I am pretty sure that F mount DX is a dead system (Nikon will never release another F mount DX body or lens).

So – I have been planning out the change in my mind for a few months. But – this past weekend I started a spreadsheet and looked at cost to do the change and what lenses I wanted to shoot and what bodies would do the trick. To my great surprise – m43 – when you do the math – starts to look like a screaming deal. Especially two components of it. The Olympus EM1 ii can be had for a song right now – and it looks like an amazing piece of equipment. And – the Olympus 12-100 pro looks like a magnificent piece of professional equipment. The two of them together can be had for less that $2k and offer a kit that looks like cannot be beat in terms of getting image quality in a portable kit.

My question is – how much (if anything) will I lose in IQ over the Nikon DX bodies? Lets say the last 24MP sensors in the Nikon DX bodies.

As a note - I rarely shoot over ISO 6400 and am mostly concerned about getting great color in skin tones.  I do not want to spend a lot of time in post trying to correct skin colors due to DR problems.

brownie314's gear list:brownie314's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow