PetaPixel K-3 Mark III Review

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,767
Re: "Suitability" Is Too Vague

MyReality wrote:

" (despite the mirrorless crowd insisting that DSLR's can't match the AF of MILCs for BIF..." -- I just read 2 days ago on this forum that the opposite was true and I think it was verified by DPR more than once.

Anyway, from my own experience, I discovered that the weakest link in the camera/lens combo for birding and actions is the failure of the lens to acquire focus fast enough at high shutter speeds.

The mirrorless crowd insist that anything else can't do 101 things. Take eye focus, if you listen to them photography from the 1850s to 2010s couldn't produced a properly focused portrait.

It is certainly true with older lenses that screw drive, and some of the weaker in-lens motors can't shift the focusing elements in 1/12th second.  I think a lot of lenses date from a time where that wasn't a requirement.

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow