Sony A7 III vs Canon R6/R5 at f/8+ for studio portraits with strobes - is there a real difference?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
s-trap New Member • Posts: 9
Sony A7 III vs Canon R6/R5 at f/8+ for studio portraits with strobes - is there a real difference?

Hi

I know some theory and have some experience with Nikon DSLRs and Sony A7 III:

• DSLRs focus wide open.
  • Sony A7 III focuses stopped down in AF-C most of the time (disabling "effect" in viewfinder makes focusing for the first shot wide open). Probably to prevent focus shift. In AF-S it focuses wide open.
  • AF-S doesn't cut it for many subjects, (e.g. children).
  • Canon R usually focuses wide open, but according to some reports it may focus slightly stopped down, even when set to shoot wide open, on bright primes in good light. Some focus shift visible on certain EF lenses.
  • From what I read Nikon Z opens up to f/5.6 to focus.
  • In studio work it is often preferred to use small apertures, f/8, f/11, especially with multiple subjects in frame.
  • Sony A7 III may struggle to focus or visibly miss when using strobes, with poor ambient light and when using small apertures like f/8+.

But I'd like to know how Sony and Canon R compare in practice?

Could you compare Sony A7 III / RIV / A1 and Canon R6 / R5 in studio with strobes and with small apertures out of your own experience?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Sony a1 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow