Lack of focus bracketing in Sony is getting noticed..

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 3,029
Re: Lack of focus bracketing in Sony is getting noticed..

dan_darkroom wrote:

AlephNull wrote:

Or is it something that only a few people want, and they have been triggering each other to talk about it?

It's a nice option to have. It's an option I would use it sometimes in landscape, more often in macro. When I don't need this option , I would not use the option . This is the nature of an option .

BTW, some Sony cameras have this pixel shift thing, something I really don't care about. And still, as this is an option, I would still use such camera without using that option. This option would no make me angry in any way.

The deeper question for me here is, does Sony has people in the camera team that actually go out and take pictures? Or have any interest in photography other than selling hardware?

I tried using pixel-shift with the A7R4 because I was curious. I took a series of images, mostly using the 16 frame version. I tried it outdoors on an almost still day, on a tripod, using a cable trigger, and learned that even the slightest movement of the foliage produced nasty artefacts (not to mention some people moving into view in one sequence…). I can see it being useful indoors in a controlled environment shooting things that don’t move, but not outdoors. At least, not with the current software for merging the images - I think the camera end is probably adequate, but not the desktop end. Maybe it has changed since my experiment - I’d hope so. I haven’t tried using the A1, which might also make a difference, given that it can capture the images a lot more quickly.

But as you say, this is an option, and not one I’m likely to use much in its current state. I get the feeling that the version on the A7R III was version 0.0, and the version in the A7R IV was 0.5 - It doesn’t really feel polished yet.

I am convinced that Sony does have people looking at what is desired, because I cannot explain the A1 any other way. The A1 was a new project that I suspect was kindled by lots of people saying “I wish I had the resolution of the A7R series combined with the speed of the A9 series”, then stoked to a blaze by talking to photographers using those two series. Probably a bunch of press photographers (like AAP), but others, too. I do not think Sony was surprised by the number of older hobbyist photographers queuing up to buy the A1.

The A1 was no accident. It has been reported that it was a lengthy development process, and I am sure there was a very long list of features that were considered for inclusion because it was a “how much new functionality can we put in this?” model with a higher target price. I also suspect each feature was tagged with, amongst other things, the cost to implement it, and how many people would want it, and how risky the development would be. Some were features already implemented in other cameras, so they would be comparatively cheap and safe to include (I would image pixel shift shooting was one of those). Others would be enhancements to existing features (like bird eye AF), which might cost to implement (training the AI with bird images, for example) but would be popular with a lot of people (they know there are a lot of bird shooters out there). Yet other features might be quite new (like focus bracketing), perhaps with new development required (such as how to drive the focus in small consistent steps on a wide range of lenses - not the same as focusing on a specific object), and the obvious question that would arise is “how many people would want to pay for this?”. If the cost estimate was high, and the risk looked high, and the estimated number of people willing to pay for it was comparatively low, I can see it being culled from the list. I am sure a great many features were culled, not just this one.

I am not talking from any inside knowledge of Sony’s internal processes.

<rant>

If people want this functionality, they need to be telling Sony that. Email that “Sony listens” email address, talk to Sony’s ambassadors. Raise Sony’s assessment of the number of people who would be willing to pay for this. Sitting in a corner muttering “it’s not fair” won’t help. Complaining on here probably does little to help, too. Heck, if a particular system does this feature well, then buy it! Convince Sony that people are willing to pay for it by paying for it! If you aren’t willing to pay for it, then maybe you should stop complaining… (no, that argument didn’t convince me to stop asking for lossless compressed RAW, either )

</rant>

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow