Owl, Fish, Frogs, Rabbit, and of course Birds! (7/22/21)

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
Joachim Wulfers
Joachim Wulfers Veteran Member • Posts: 5,128
Re: Joachim,

zackiedawg wrote:

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

Here are my preferred shots of this series. Although the others are also very nice and I could have selected them all. It looks like the other pig frog took on the colour of the algae foam. But I like the bronze tone of this pig frog. The feather details of these birds are stunning, particularly the American bittern.

Thank you for the details on specific picks and why.

I agree on the frogs - love the golden tinge colored ones - most of them actually are - the green stood out just for being different from the normal ones I see.

I am still sitting on the fence as far as buying the 100-400 + 1.4 TC or the 200-600. I would not be able to take many of the close-up shots I take now with the 70-300 and I like shooting bugs and flowers. The 200-600 with its +8' MFD would not work very well where I shoot.

Picking between the two - that's a tough call - in your case if you do a lot of closeup work and flora, the 100-400mm is definitely the more versatile overall. I really love the 200-600mm and I use it a little more, but that's because my primary subject down here are birds...yet I still mix in the 100-400mm when I want to do more BIF shooting, mix in bug closeups and near-macro, etc. The 200-600mm can actually do a passable job for bugs, flowers and closeup - but just by merit of having 600mm to make up a bit for the 8 foot MFD. But the 100-400mm is still best overall for that.

Justin, objectively, do you notice a better performance of the 200-600 over the 100-400 with 1.4 TC to the point where making a compromise and "living" with the longer MFD is worth it?

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony a6000 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow