Lack of focus bracketing in Sony is getting noticed..

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,481
Re: Lack of focus bracketing in Sony is getting noticed..

lattesweden wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

AlephNull wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

and it is starting to cost Sony. C'mon Sony, fix this.

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/2129552850/dpreview-tv-nikon-z7-ii-versus-sony-a7r-iv-for-landscapes

Yeah, all seven people who care about focus bracketing are seething! OK, that's an exaggeration: five of them are seething, one is cross, and one is just a bit peeved.

</teasing>

There have been a few strident voices on this subject, but is it really used all that commonly? Or is it something that only a few people want, and they have been triggering each other to talk about it?

I'm not opposed to it being a feature of the camera (unless it drastically increases the price!), but I honestly don't care if it ever appears. And I suspect the vast majority feel the same way: indifferent.

I think you are partly correct. You are right, I didn't buy into Sony for the focus stacking but it is a feature I'd use for product photography and for landscape. Not all the time but often enough. Macro in the field is becoming of increasing interest to me and here focus stacking is essential. If I want to go down this road I need another camera and that irks me. It really should cost Sony almost nothing to add this via firmware.

I think you are incorrect in that for the many people who really want focus bracketing. they have already chosen other brands. Therefore the responses here are skewed and don't reflect the overall demand for this feature. As I said in my opening post, the lack of this feature is costing Sony sales.

I agree.

To get focus bracketing one can buy one of the cheaper later versions of the E-M10 bodys from Olympus plus one m4/3 macro lens of choice for basically the same total weight and money as just the Sony 90/2.8 macro costs and weights.

So by not buying the Sony macro and instead go with a m4/3 setup for macro one gets focus bracketing and Sony looses the macro lens sales.

Here are some images that I have shown several times before as well that I've done with focus bracketing (around 35 frames per image) and stacked in Helicon Focus. You don't need to like them in any way but they demonstrate what focus bracketing can do.

The background is actually very close. If I had stopped down to get all the flowers in focus the background separation would not have been good. Now I could shot each frame wide open with shallow depth of field and exactly choose where the sharpness should start and where it should stop depth wise. It was a windy day so a fast frame rate was essential to not get movement problems between the frames.

The inside of the water drop is sharp. The drop act as a lens and is on a totally different focus plane. Windy day so a fast frame rate was essential to not get movement problems between the frames.

This mushroom is actually very small and I could not fit it into one single image DOF wise. Again the bracketing almost makes the sharpness digital (1 or 0, on or off) when it shall start or stop if one picks the right frames one sends into the stacker software and have shot each frame with shallow depth of field.

Here my m4/3 setup. The fully articulating screen makes it easy to just hang the camera upside down on the tripod column and I trigger with a 15 USD cable release since the body trigger is hard to reach. The UV-filter on the lens has a 46 mm thread so the whole body and lens is fairly tiny compared to a FF setup.

Here is the small mushroom from the above setup image. As can be seen it is really small and one advantage with m4/3 is that 1:1 there is actually 18x13 mm which is like 2:1 on FF.

These shots illustrate the point nicely. You have a set up here that I envy and for similar subject matter.

While I am a sony user and have been in the fold since Minolta days, I have a very soft spot for Olympus. IMHO they don't get the recognition they deserve for some important advances over the years. A number of my friends use Olympus and I get to stay in touch with developments over there. It often seems to me that many (but by no means all) Sony users aren't very well informed as to what happens outside their own patch and they get brand defensive rather quickly.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow