Sigma 150-600S sudden loss of autofocus?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Byron Zumwalt New Member • Posts: 12
Sigma 150-600S sudden loss of autofocus?

All,

I rented one of these lenses as a test before buying this or a similar lens for bird photos. I might want to print one of the shots I get, in pretty big prints. I have a D200, a D800 that I use most of the time, and am eyeing a D4.

I have settled on the sigma 150-600s as the next step in what I am trying to achieve in this area and what I can afford. I like the lens' build quality and am not troubled by the weight. So I rented one this weekend to test it with my D800.

I was startled by how good the shots I got were. I wasn't crazy about the boquet (or however one says and spells it), but I was really wowed by what the lens did do in the hands of a novice. It got the bird really well, including birds in pretty slow flight.

My subjects were herons and I've come to realize how much more challenging smaller birds will be, but I was really happy with what I got. Sure, I'd love to shoot faster, much smaller birds. It's too early for me to know what the equipment/skills balance would be to do that.

So,with all that in view. I also have some doubts.

1) Every once in a while, the lens just wouldn't register. I'd have to zoom in and out, change the the fstop, etc., and then it was suddenly back, for no consistent reason that I could see. It was weird, and probably weirder because when it comes to how photography works, I'm a real novice. So, from experience, the lens acted like a person shaking off momentary confusion. And this morning, shooting at 8 am under overcast skies at like f8 and aperture priority, sometimes the lens being unable to find its bearings  was even worse. But again, it was intermittent, and when it was sharp, it was sharp.

Any thoughts?
I have to say, photographing birds is a lot of fun, and this lens makes it even more fun. So I hope it can work out. Any thoughts much appreciated.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow