Olympus kit lens question

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Chuck Bagdade Regular Member • Posts: 220
Re: Olympus kit lens question

Eric Nepean wrote:

Chuck Bagdade wrote:

baxters wrote:

I still own both versions of that lens. The black one is the "L" model and came with my EPL1 in 2010. The silver one is is the R model, and came with my EPM1.

Both work the same way. In "MF" mode, spinning the front focus rings kicks the display into 10X mode and I can focus. In "SAF-MF" mode, the camera still focuses automatically, and spinning the ring kicks it into MF mode with the 10X screen.

Congrats on the EPL1. Still a useable camera in 2021. The IS is broken on mine. I've read about how to fix it, but I lose too many screws these days.

The black one is, indeed, what I have. I suppose I can live with AF only for this one lens if I have to. As I stated previously, the tele zoom lens focuses manually just fine.

Chuck

In a previous post you said

Chuck Bagdade wrote:

It's not jammed. When I turn the focusing ring a little, it quickly returns to its original position- by power.

SInce it returns to its original position by power its very likely not a mechanical malfunction.

You can double check this by shutting off the camera and then turning the focus ring - if it doesn't jam and doesn't return, then its not mechanical.

I can see possibilities that you are observing behaviour controlled by camera settings

1) Are you by chance using S-AF+MF instead of MF mode? If the former, the camera will still Autofocus when you half press the shutter button.

2) The function Reset Lens "When set to [ON], resets the focus of the lens (infinity) each time the power is turned off"- is it possible that the lens is loosing power when you move the lens? If so, unsetting this should cure the behaviour

Thanks to Eric, Baxters, and all others who have been so very helpful. I hope I can return your kindness in the future.

-- hide signature --

Chuck

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow