"Crop-ability" of images?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 6,114
Re: Exposure vs Exposure

Dennis wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

His definition is useless. His insistence is futile.

Funny, before reading about equivalence and exposure in dpreview threads a few years ago, I shared the misconceptions that "f/2.8 is f/2.8" and exposure is the sum of all the "exposure settings". Bobn2 and GB straightened me out. Now, I tend to expose to the right when possible. I ended up switching (actually, quite a few years ago) from a camera that did not offer Auto ISO in M to one that does, because that makes it easier to ensure I'm maximizing exposure in low light. I set shutter speed and f-stop to maximize exposure (always subject to various constraints) and let the camera calculate the ISO to brighten the image according to however I've metered it (metering is still important to avoid blown highlights). I could, at that point, shoot at base ISO and brighten in post processing, but that's now a workflow that interests me (and I want a usable preview image in the camera).

It's a simple, basic concept that has resulted in an improvement in certain aspects of some of my photos.

It's a shame that so many people are so adamantly against the spread of knowledge .

- Dennis
--

Gallery at http://kingofthebeasts.smugmug.com

But:

"f/2.8 is f/2.8" is true.  Since f-number is the aperture diameter divided by focal length, for any lens.  DOF equivalence may require use of a different aperture.

If you set shutter speed and aperture to "maximize exposure" there is no need for Auto ISO.  Or you set shutter speed and aperture to your constraints and then use the meter (or Auto ISO setting) to adjust in order to avoid over or under exposing.

Shooting in low light at base ISO works if your camera is ISO invariant (or ISO invariant over the light level you are shooting at.  Otherwise, image quality will suffer if you don't adjut ISO.  The is especially common with Canon cameras.

What I am against is dogma.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M5 III +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow