"Crop-ability" of images?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
cameron2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,060
Re: "Crop-ability" of images?

dperez wrote:

The question I was asked was essentially "Once I take the bird picture, and get it into Lightroom, and crop it down to the bird, WHICH camera is going to give me the most bird pixels so I can crop the least?"

There's another way to imagine the difference: Shooting with a 20mp m43 sensor and a 300mm f4 lens is nearly identical to shooting with an 80mp 35mm sensor and a 300mm f4 lens and then cropping down to the middle 20mp of the 80mp image. This is one of the (technically incorrect) reasons why some people refer to m43 as a "crop format".

The real question is this, though: How much more do you need to crop that remaining 20mp down to get the image that you actually want?

In my test world, it's the D850. In the REAL world, shooting a 600mm I'd have more bird pixels shooting the D500 with the 600 (900mm 35 EQ) followed by the M1X at 400mm (800mm 35 EQ)...

The D850 is 46mp. So if you can fill the frame (no crop required), you have a 2.3x pixel advantage. Given the same light, you also have a 4x light advantage. I'm sure Bob will correct me if my calculations are wrong, but at first glance, that means that you have a 1.74x advantage per pixel (meaning you can shoot at roughly 4x the shutter speed as m43 to achieve the same noise level, or 1.74x the shutter speed as m43 to achieve the same noise per pixel, or shoot at the same shutter speed with less resulting noise).

All that to say that, yes, there are measurable and significant advantages to using larger sensors.

The other area of curiosity - (this one is my curiosity) is the mechanics. I shot a Sony A9 II and an A7r III. In both cases I found that when I put the camera to my eye, there was a delay before the EVF came on. Since I'm watching a bird flying by, I'm used to putting the D500 to my eye, seeing the bird, and shooting. With either Sony I was always behind the bird because of the delay.

Will this happen with the M1X or the E-M1 III?

Yup. The Oly dot sight can help, but it's hard to beat the D500 for speed-to-shot.

I'd strongly suggest that you borrow someone's Oly and lenses to try for yourself before you buy. You have a working setup now, so don't abandon it unless you are certain that what you're switching to will meet your needs. (Also, don't switch to something that you will not enjoy.)

p.s. I have spent a lot of time in Japan, and it's always funny to see 50Kg 85 year old photographers carrying around 20Kg cannons (some of which are Canons) to get their shots. They are happy and contented with their setups, so I know it is possible to do.

cameron2's gear list:cameron2's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Hasselblad X1D
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow