Quarkcharmed Senior Member • Posts: 1,571
Re: Getting a Grip...

landscaper1 wrote:

StefanD wrote:

gossamer88 wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

StefanD wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

Thanks to both of the previous respondents for their views. I, however, have always purchased 3rd party grips for my Canon cameras and have never been disappointed by their performance. Yes, I spent $3800 for the R5, but that's because it will be my only FF camera body. Thus, I'll use it all the time. A battery grip, however, is something I only use when on those occasions when I need extended battery life, such as long duration night shots.

If you only need it for extended battery life, wouldn't it make sense to buy a suitable powerbank instead? A powerbank probably offers even more battery life, can be used for other things as well and doesn't add instability that a grip may add when mounted on a tripod.

Now this is an interesting idea. Can you please give me some direction on who makes them and where to find them?

Here is some great info on another photography forum I belong to:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1519188

That link provides a lot of useful information!

A search on the dpreview forum will help too. As far as I know, any powerbank that supports Power Delivery at at least 45W will do the job. Haven't got an R5 myself, so I don't speak from experience.

I do know from experience that using a grip on a tripod isn't helping stability. (Unless of course you're using a tripod ring on a telephoto lens)

O.K. it looks like a power bank is the most sensible solution. Now the question is, "Where do I find the kind of bracket shown that holds the power bank to a tripod and allows the camera body to be mounted above it?

Just curious if you actually need an uninterrupted power supply. For extra long timelapses maybe?... Even a single battery lasts for hours with the LCD on. I've never used more than two batteries in the field.

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow