RF 70-200 and Teleconverters

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alekhine Senior Member • Posts: 1,452
RF 70-200 and Teleconverters

I know I'm late here, but I just discovered to my big surprise (and disappointment) that the new RF 70-200 is not compatible with teleconverters due to its reduced size.

I have just finished selling all my EF lenses but my 70-200 2.8 and got a 15-35 and 28-70 for my R5.

As a wedding and landscape photographer, I am currently using R5 with 28-70 and 1DX mark II with a 70-200 at weddings, switching to primes where it needs be.

I was about to sell my EF 70-200 and get the RF version when I discovered it cannot be used with TCs. Now this is not a big issue with weddings, but when I'm in the wilderness shooting landscapes this turns out to be a huge limitation. Often times I like to go to Tuscany or Dolomites, where often I found myself wanting way more reach than 200mm.

This, in short, means that I have to drop around 6000 eur to get a 70-200 AND a 100-500, which alone is nearly useless at weddings.

A solution could be getting the 100-500 for landscapes and keeping my EF 70-200 with an adapter for weddings, though I wouldn't be very happy with this.

Does this look like a plan by Canon on getting more sales with the rf 100-500?

Any thoughts, ideas? What's your solution to this issue?

-- hide signature --

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
Oscar Wilde
https://wildscapes.photography

Alekhine's gear list:Alekhine's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow