A day in the life of an optimistic photographer (Z50)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,408
A day in the life of an optimistic photographer (Z50)

The other evening I was planning on catching some really beautiful landscape shots. The evening before there was spectacular purple colors from the sky, reflected in the sea.

I also thought I might get som wildlife shots in the fading light. There are plenty of roe deers, and sometimes even moose around here. I have the two lens kit for my Z50, and since they go down to a slow 6.3 at the long end, I had a special weapon with me, a 35 year old MF Tokina 300 2.8 that I have borrowed from my brother. So I packed the car with the lenses, a tripod, a monopod and even my little drone (DJI Mini). High ambitions and expectations.

However, as I drove the magic light never came. Then I saw a beautiful field with two horses at the other end. I parked the car and mounted the 300 2.8 with adapter and the monopod. I crossed the road and went up to the fence. Horses about 100 meters away could make a good tele landscape shot in the fading light.

But almost immediately the horses saw me and started the come against me. The 300 2.8 (450 eqv) was useless as they came very close. I had to back, cross the road and shot from the other side. Then the monopod broke. Now I had to handhold the front heavy thing and increase the shutter speed which meant raising the ISO to 3200-5000. Nothing good could came out of this, I thought, took a couple of quick shots and jumped in the car. Stopped at a scene that looked spectacular last evening, now it was nothing special. Took a few uninspired shots in the fading light, no time to compose or pulling out the tripod. Setting up the drone - forget it.

Drove home pretty disappointed. Saw no wildlife on the way either.

When I looked at the horse images later I thought that a few were actually decent, horses are beautiful animals. Not at all what I planned, but that was what I got. The high ISO performance of the Z50 was impressive. And with the VR I could probably used the feather light 50-250 instead… Although I think the rendering of the old lens was little different than modern lenses, less contrasty but pleasant.

Another old lens with adapter - 35 2.0 AI. I have tried some of the new low cost third party MF lenses for the Z-mount, but decided to use my old Nikkor lenses instead, while I wait for the coming Z 28 2.8 and 40 2.0.

And a shot from it. The reason I use these lenses is because I want to mix up my kit lens images with shots with shorter DOF.

And sure enough, the next evening a roe deer actually showed up, but then I had my 50-250 and had to shot at ISO 8000...

Has it ever happened to you, that you plan for something and get something completely different, but still OK?

Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow