Wedding Photographer and Raw

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 4,215
Re: I'm not a wedding photographer but...

By giving away this unfinished product a photographer gets hurt twice:

1. He will find poorly edited or unedited photos online under his name. Those could shine! But they don't. And his name is there as 'photographer'.

2. He has a certain style, much of which is applied in post-editing. You hired him for that style. Those unfinished raws don't have that.

Your point #1 is valid but the risk can be minimized by contract. Your point #2 is off-base - the only one hurt is the photographer's ego.  I got all of the RAW files from my wedding shoot and applied MY style-  far more to my liking as the client.  I built my own printed book of my wedding after post-processing my way in my style - hundreds of frames. Fact is, there are a lot of clients with better post-processing skills than the hired photographer - a result of the democratizing of the craft.

-- hide signature --

The one thing everyone can agree on is that film photography has its negatives. It even has its positives and internegatives.

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow