"Crop-ability" of images?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Tony Rogers Senior Member • Posts: 2,036
Re: "Crop-ability" of images?

dperez wrote:

I was ready to put down the money for an A1 and several lenses as a replacement for my D850 and D500 - which is the camera I shoot BIF with. And instead of the A7R IV and A9 II. Then I found out the A1 can't do focus stacking. It appears that none of the current Sony's do focus stacking. AND it doesn't have a fully articulating LCD, just the old-style tilting one like my Nikons.

Yes, I wasn't trying to sell you an A1. Sony has far fewer in-camera computational photography features, particularly when compared to Olympus who are probably the market leaders with Hand-Held hi-res, Live ND, Live Composite, Focus Stacking etc.

Probably 20% of my images with the D850 are flowers and other closeup things, and both landscapes, close-ups and macros are routinely focus stacked... Not having that capability meant keeping my current equipment and having 2 drastically different systems... Bad idea.

From the Sony forums it APPEARS the belief is that it's just a firmware upgrade, but it doesn't seem to be on Sony's radar as something to be done any time soon.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Sony's record of introducing features with firmware updates is inconsistent. It's been great in term of AF for certain cameras and other, relatively simple features remain missing.

So, I'm still looking at options...

My main point was, don't assume all cameras will C-AF as well as a D850. And mirrorless cameras in general have different issues to overcome to do with using the sensor for PDAF that dslr users might find a bit jarring to adjust to. (Basically, if the subject - let's say a bird - is so far out of focus that you can't see it in EVF, it means the mirrorless camera isn't getting reliable pdaf information on the bird. That means it will either focus on something that is clear in the viewfinder (say the background) or it will guess which way to move the focus to try to find something, by which time the bird is gone! My understanding is that dslrs are less prone to this failure due to the way the separate pdaf sensor and associated optics work.)

I'm just suggesting you try before you buy to make sure a new camera suits you from this autofocus perspective.

Tony Rogers's gear list:Tony Rogers's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow