Lack of focus bracketing in Sony is getting noticed..

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,548
Re: Lack of focus bracketing in Sony is getting noticed..

Funny Valentine wrote:

Platographer wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Sony needs:

- in camera focus bracketing and stacking (RAW + JPEG)

- in camera picture profile bracketing (RAW + JPEG)

- in camera pixel shift high res shot (RAW + JPEG like Panasonic and Olympus)

- better IBIS (5.5 stops claims by Sony seem a bit unrealistic)

If Sony can fix these issues they will be truly industry leading.

Good thing most of these things are firmware fixes.

Bad news is the competition is Canon and Nikon, two of the most anti-innovation and anti progress photo companies around. Panasonic is leading in innovation, but they're too little of threat to push Sony to innovate.

I don't know if I agree with Panasonic leading in innovation. They still limit exposure bracketing to one stop apart.

In full frame world Panasonic has the best pixel shift high res implementation.

And their moiré correction software is on point, they're the only FF manufacturer putting out cameras without AA filters (S5 and S1), meanwhile everyone else (Canon, Nikon and Sony) have to rely on heavy duty AA filters.

Panasonic is clearly not perfect, but as photo cameras they're underrated.

I may be wrong but I don't think you are correct re the AA filters in Sony. Generally those models with an R in the name don't have an AA filter. I'm pretty sure that my A7R3 doesn't have an AA filter.

I'd also question Panasonic as an innovation leader. Arguably the Panasonic/Olympus coalition began the whole mirrorless thing so kudos to both of them. In that time Panasonic has tended to video while Oly has been the choice for still photographers. The Oly innovation claims are impressive. 5 axis IBIS, really good focus stacking and time lapse, Starry Sky Af. The Olympus Pro capture mode is pretty cool as well. Check out the way the switch from manual to AF is done on many Oly lenses. The focus ring rotates to MF but slides either forwards or backwards to move between AF and MF. You left hand stays on the control ring. This is very nice indeed. Olympus impress me heaps but I want my Sony sensor size and I want Sony AF/tracking.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow