Wedding Photographer and Raw

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
drynn Contributing Member • Posts: 900
Re: Wedding Photographer and Raw

When my daughter got married (Italy, mid-May, ceremony outside) she had initially asked me to do the photography. I said no (how could I have walked her down the aisle AND taken pictures of it?), and advised her instead to hire a professional wedding photographer - I considered the cost worthwhile. She did so, and in the event the selected business provided three photographers covering 09:00 - midnight: her preparations, the groom's preparations, the gathering beforehand, the ceremony, the traditional-after wedding groups, the banquet and the disco.

She had asked the firm for the RAW files as part of the deal (no prints required) as I had agreed to make an album for her, and they agreed without any fuss. The only stipulation from them was that they would supply 2500 files of what they considered to be the 'best-of-the-best', reserving the right to cull anything they thought was below par. The files they provided were fantastic, every one of them (they used Nikon equipment, so NEF files). From those files, I then selected what I thought was the best 500 and turned them into a wedding book, to which I added text details e.g. the guest list, the menus, the musicians etc.

The photographers got a fee they were happy with; she got the RAW files that she was happy with (interestingly, in addition to the 2500 files agreed, they also added about 20 tiff files that they had processed - some arty black and whites, some soft focus, and some portraits. I suspect these were like their 'signature' pictures); I had good quality files to work with; and she was very happy with the book I presented.

Another interesting point is that although she had set up a web-page for the wedding where friends could contribute/swap pictures they had taken, only a couple of friends asked for copies of the photographers group pictures (agreed with the firm beforehand). It seemed as though most attendees were happy with their (mainly) phone pictures, of which there were several hundreds uploaded.

I know that she has never even looked through the 2500 RAWs herself but has regularly reviewed the album with friends, and still has the web-page live. Apart from the book I produced, I also created some stand-alone pictures, including some fancy effect ones e.g. painterly, starbursts, composites etc.

Happy all round 

Finally, and in keeping with the topic, if a client asks for the RAW files so that they can process and distribute as they wish, and the photographer says 'no', then that client will simply go elsewhere; no need to argue about it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow