Reduced DOF Concerns, Continued

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
DMillier Forum Pro • Posts: 22,764
Re: Is it a Bird or a Plane?

Greg7579 wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

You still don't understand the difference between science and technology.

I think I do. But I'm no scientist. I'm a shooter who knows it is more than one stop so there fore I am a technologist.

Jim, listen to me....

Stop posting on these silly GFX DOF equivalency threads and get back to the blackboard and figure out what is going on with these old DOF tables and why GFX DOF equivalency is so badly explained by science .... I mean technology. No ... I think I mean science. Well, maybe it is technology.

OK, let's call it scientific technological theoretical mathematics.

Generally, in science theories are proposed, mainly in mathematical terms, and the theories are used to make predictions that are then tested to see if the measurements match the prediction. It can be quite messy doing this right, but eventually after multiple experiments and cross checking and all the rest, the community of experts agrees the predictions were met or disagrees. If the consensus decide that the predictions of the theory have been demonstrated to a satisfactory degree, the theory is accepted. Or if the results are way off, a search is undertaken for experimental errors. If none are found, the theory is modified until the measurements match the theory.

When I say the community, I mean most of the community. There are always some outliers who refuse to accept the experimental results (for one reason or another). Once in a hundred years, the refusenik is on to something that is a game changer. But mostly these people fade away.

To me, the evidence provided by our resident and very hardworking experts is convincing.  There remains a small possibility they have it wrong and that GFX breaks all well established rules but that window must be very small now.

It's frustrating reading this stuff, and knowing that you are not prepared to spend any time at all on the simplest of tests that would prove (or disprove) your point, tests that have been custom designed to test your claim and custom designed to be as minimally time consuming for you.  If I were you, I'd be desperate to co-operate, yet here we are months later and you still slither, slip and slide away.

I'm not at all sure what to think about all this, other than to say Jim has a remarkable level of patience . I'd have chewed my way through the wall by now.

Why don't you just let him guide you step by step through the tests?

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow