Aaron801 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,107
Re: Wedding Photographer and Raw

tbcass wrote:

Aaron801 wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Is it normal wedding photographer haven't give Raw files to their clients ?

Thank

If I were to do it, the fee would be enormous.

Why? As wedding costs go up people are more and more looking for lower fees from a wedding photographer. In this day and age, I think people care a lot less about professional photographs. If I was shopping for a wedding photographer I would insist that the RAW files be included at no extra cost or look elsewhere. It's a buyer's market.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of wedding photographers don't agree to give up their RAW images. If this is indeed the case, then your choices for photographers might be very limited. If it's between an experienced photographer who does really stunning work, who doesn't let go of his/her RAWs and a inexperienced photographer who does mediocre to poor work, which one will you choose?

Neither one. Personally, I think wedding photographs are a waste of money. I was married twice and had friends do the photography in lieu of a wedding gift. In the past all my friends had me do the same thing so often that I had to start refusing because it was too much like work when everybody else was having fun. Wedding photographs are a waste of money. All the married couples I know have their wedding photos stashed away and never look at them.

I don't know that I would pay for a pro photographer if I were to get married as I'd rater spend that money towards a great honeymoon, or something like that. Still, I have to admit that I've seen some truly stunning wedding photography and I could see that if I had the money to devote to such and thing that having some truly iconic shots of that special day may indeed be worth spending money on. Folks with really tight budgets are the ones that get their amateur friends to shoot wedding photos, but the ones who can afford it are more often than not willing to pay for a much higher level of quality that a skilled pro can produce.

There's really nothing like an accreditation for pro photographers, so that really anyone with a camera can play the game. I've seen plenty of folks decide to play "professional photographer" put out their shingle and then do embarrassingly poor work that's surely no better than the least of us on these forums could do without much practice. If someone does really great work, you'll know that from their portfolio. These are the type of folks who tend to be in demand and stay in blueness, while the aforementioned folks with their under-developed skills are the ones who give up after a year or so... I've seen in happen plenty of times.

-- hide signature --
 Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow