Wedding Photographer and Raw

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Aaron801 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,096
Re: Vision

tbcass wrote:

Aaron801 wrote:

Yes, negatives are different than RAW files in the sense that they can't be copied, but not in the sense that they are both the original, source copy,

As for the "customer is always right," I would say that there are certainly cases that stress this particular adage. If it is indeed an industry that photographers don't give up their negatives or their RAWs then when the customer expects copies of them, they are expecting something they clearly have to right to expect. I think that you aren't really giving much credit to the way that photographers (and other associated folks like designers, illustrators, etc) tend to structure their contracts and why they do so.

I don't really do professional photography work, but I do graphic design work for hire. I'm not in the habit of giving out my original layouts to clients. If I were to do that then someone could hand them off to someone else and make a handbill from my poster, a brochure from my sales packet, etc. I provide a finished product and if the customer needs any more associated materials, then they're going to have to hire me to create those...

I don't think the layouts for graphic design work are anything like the RAW files. It's an apples and oranges comparison. For photography, a comparison would be the lighting and equipment used and the artistic composition.

Well.... I have plenty of experience with both graphic design and photography and I think of them as more alike than different in terms to RAW vs InDesign files. With the photography that I do, the post production part of it is a HUGE part of the process. I'm not doing anything really extreme with the images with like collaging or blending out areas of the image. Just the work that I do with contrast color and most importantly cropping, change the image a lot and I don't consider the image out of the camera to be anywhere near the finished product. I'm obviously not in anything like a small minority of folks who think this way about our photography as no less than Ansel Adams has a whole book devoted only to the stage of making the print (which is an equivalent process to post processing on a computer) and said that he considered the negative (the RAW) to be "the score," and the print (the JPEG) to be "the performance."

-- hide signature --
 Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow