Impressive Noise Reduction from LIGHTROOM!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sonic123 Junior Member • Posts: 49
Impressive Noise Reduction from LIGHTROOM!

Hi! Please excuse the "noobiness" of this post. As a total beginner just starting to learn the basics of photography, one of the main issues I have to deal with is the unpleasant noise that my RAW photos has, specially when shooting at low light. The JPGs produced by the camera are a little better, but I always miss the sharpness I see in other's people photos. I call it "sharpness" but I don't know if there is a more precise word.

Little did I know that said "sharpness" could be improved with the reduction of noise. It sounds logical, of course, less noise = clearer image = sharpness but anyway, one of my goals some day is to be able to produce "clean" and "sharp" photos.

I've tried stand-alone software that promotes as being able to reduce noise in your photos, basically TOPAZ DeNoise AI and DxO PureRaw. I've had disappointing results with TOPAZ and have gotten better results with PureRaw.

How big a surprise yesterday when I was toying around with Lightroom and a noisy photo taken in low light with my A7SIII. I was just starting to do things when a slider figure appeared on the screen suggesting me to try the NOISE REDUCTION feature. I did it like I have done it before with said DeNoise, PureRaw and LUMINAR AI expecting the same half-baked unremarkable results and suddenly, for the first time, my photo CAME ALIVE! The noise was gone, BUT the sharpness remained!  Almost 3D like!

I know this is an absolutely basic concept and something all photographers take for granted, but for me having such a sharp photo for the very first time from a noisy RAW photo is pure bliss.

Now I'm starting to understand why they say RAW files are flat/noisy because they have a lot of information you can play with in post-processing. I was at loss from where to start with my noisy RAW photos, and now I'm seeing a light.

The REAL SURPRISE to me is how come a single amongst many features of a program like LIGHTROOM applied in seconds gave me outstanding results that "specialized" software couldn't give me. Of course, YMMV.

These are the BEFORE and AFTER photos. Both of them have been converted to JPGs, so I can upload them here. I don't know if there is some kind of compression when you upload images in a forum post, but I can assure the sharpness and difference between the BEFORE and AFTER photo is outstanding.

Thank you, best regards,

BEFORE:

AFTER:

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow