Ef 24-70 ii focus breathing and behaviour for video and photo.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
D135ima New Member • Posts: 13
Ef 24-70 ii focus breathing and behaviour for video and photo.

I love my EF 24-105 4-5.6 stm for video on R6. You can expect different things from title "STM" on the lens, but on 24-105 4-5.6 it's definitely the "good" variation of this mechanism. Very fast and smooth. And also this cheap "kit" lens is greatly fb corrected

But now I consider to buy some 2.8 zoom, and EF ii looks like good option - reasonable sharp, very good price on used market and it's much more reliable than first version which i had once (it was just nightmare).

But this is old zoom, and i know that it must have focus breathing, like almost all old 24-70, and also it is USM lens. My usm primes focusing slightly "jumpy" on Eos R6, but my primes even older, and maybe their USMs is different, so i go on YouTube to watch reviews, and it seems like nobody covered these things. YouTube is really full of reviews, where people talk only obvious things...

So if someone have practical experience with 24-70 2.8 ii and researched the problems about fb and focus behaviour - please help me !! I have 5 questions:

1)How bad fb on long end of this lens on close distances ? There are rumors that some 24-70s, like tamron for example, can overlap with 50mm primes in real focal length on face/shoulder portrait distances, considering that 50mm lenses (like most primes) "breathes" forward.

2) How pronounce fb on "talking head" video applications, let's say if i moves in range 1.5-1.8 meters from lens

3) Is it any better on shorter focal lengths ?

4) How pronounce focus jumpines (or twitching, I don't know which word is more correct) on talking head applications ?

5) Is the focus motor fast and responsive enough to keep face/eye tracking for photo, when model fast moves in close distances ?

Thanks to all, who can share some information. And i apologize for my english. I learn it mostly on pirated PS1 games in nineties...

Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow