400mm mft prime?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Henry Stamm Veteran Member • Posts: 3,414
Re: 400mm mft prime?

There are options hardly anyone has mentioned that could suffice, weight & size not withstanding.  The 4/3 300mm f2.8 lens combined with either the 4/3 1.4TC or 2.0TC  yields a prime lens at 420mm f4 or 600mm f5.6.   And it will autofocus on some of the better m4/3 bodies.

Not a prime, and very heavy & very large:  the Sigmonster 300-800 f5.6 zoom.  By all accounts, this is a very good lens.  If one can find it in the 4/3 version, then it, too, can autofocus with the proper adapter on m4/3 bodies.

I know of several instances where a long FL is desirable (longer than 400mm).  Surfing is one.  Touring Yellowstone Park is another (even large game animals sometimes are at a great distance from the roads).  A cruise up the inner passage where sea lions, whales, and other such critters can be at a distance.  I used a manual focus, 600mm f8 reflex lens to try to capture sea lions sunning themselves on the shore.  It was long enough, but ship motion, the requirement to use manual focus, and my lack of skill merely produced documentary snapshots, nothing worth hanging on a wall.

Henry Stamm's gear list:Henry Stamm's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow