automatic switch to new folder after 4000 files

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,487
Re: automatic switch to new folder after 4000 files

udj cph wrote:

Thank you, Guy, for your quick response. I didn't mind the new folder, it was the reset of the file number sequence that caused problems for me (resulting in multiple instances of the same file name on one SD card). Turns out, my file numbering settings (set to "reset") were to blame, apparently. I changed that and now I'll wait until I get past the next 4000.

You don't need to wait until the next 4000. Here is the fix:

1) Erase the images on a card, or format the card.

2) Take an image.

3) Remove the card from the camera and put it in your card reader. No need to download the image. Rename the number part of the image name to the number you want to begin the sequence. Do not edit the photo in any way other than renaming it. Remove the card from the reader.

4) Put the card back in the camera and take another image. That picture will be named the number you renamed the file to, plus one. So, if you renamed a file from DSC00010 to DSC04025, the photo you took in this step will be named DSC04026.

5) Erase the card and shoot as normal. Files will now begin with DSC04027 going forward.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow