Backpack suggestions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
erikjanneman Junior Member • Posts: 40
Backpack suggestions

Hi all, I wanted to throw a question your way and gather some opinions.

I live in Bayern, Germany and go on a lot of hikes here and when we go on holiday. That is throughout the whole year, so with warm and cold and dry and wet weather. I have 2 backpacks, I pick which one I take based on the length of the hike. A Deuter Futura pro 38L from 2014/2015 and a smaller vaude 20L. Hikes are usually day trips where we bike anywhere between 10 and 25km. During vacations there have been the occasional overnight hikes but then my Deuter is fine. I pack my camera gear in a small noname cameracube I got from Amazon. The problem with this setup is that if I need to get to my gear, I have to stop and unpack. These backpacks have no special access for camera gear or anything so I end up just stowing the camera cube in the main compartment.

I also own a domke shoulder bag which I like but I do not trust it to be completely weatherproof. Plus there is no space for other stuff like food or clothes.

What I bring:

Xt4, 18-55, 10-24, a set of extension tubes and usually two Minolta primes with one adapter from KF. Plus some small stuff like batteries and SD cards, some filters. In the near future I will probably add a laowa 65mm to that, instead of one of the primes.

I am looking to get a backpack I can fit that gear into safely, have quick acces to the camera, preferably without setting down the bag, and it needs to be weatherproof. Either the bag itself or with a rainfly I also need a bit of space for some food and clothes. I would also want and exterior pocket (or maybe 2) for a water bottle. Oh and lastly I would prefer a comfortable carrying system with waist straps. Both my current backpacks have a mesh back with comfortable shoulder and waist straps.

I would like to spend the least amount I need to, but I'll spend what I have to if it ticks all the boxes. I would also like it to be as small as it can be. I do not need anything bigger then my current Deuter backpack.

I was looking at the peak design everyday backpack V2, and the wandrd prvke. They look quite well featured but I am not sure about how comfortable they are to cary. I assume there is other good options out there but I feel these 2 are on all the lists online. The either have very good marketing or they are just that good. I assume it is a bit of both. But I would like to ask if anyone here has some good suggestions other then these 2, that might fit my needs. Thanks!

erikjanneman's gear list:erikjanneman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow